Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer's End

I went away for my first girl's weekend last week. This is something I've never pursued in the past - not because I'm too much of a homebody or because I have a husband who controls my every move - I think it's because I'm fortunate enough to have great friends who also have great husbands, so we all usually hang out and travel together.

This time however, the girls (Kylie, Sarah and yours truly) decided to go at it alone - in Charleston. My main focus was food. All I wanted to do was eat at a fantastic restaurant for every meal - and that we did. Friday night dinner at Amen Street - delicious shrimp corn dogs, hand breaded calamari, fresh raw oysters on the half shell and fried green tomatoes - it was amazing. We wined and dined and enjoyed the low country, southern atmosphere - and of course we hit up a few night spots.


Evidently we stayed out way too late because getting up and motivating ourselves was absolute torture.  With only one day to explore the city, we sucked it up and made it out by 10:30 am...ok, more like 11:30.  The most important thing was that we made it out just in time for lunch.  We hit up the famous Hyman's Seafood where we each enjoyed their signature Bloody Mary and grubbed on shrimp poboys. 

The remaining part of our day was spent wandering the downtown streets, going in and out of shops.  We also took advantage of the trolley tours to get a different perspective on the city and learn a little history along the way.






Did I mention I would live in just about any of the houses we saw on our tour?  Talk about character...




We ended the night dining at the well known Magnolia's.  I devoured the crab cakes and a portion of their homemade potato chips with blue cheese crumbles.  A-MAZ-ING.  The southern cuisine is oh so good, but probably not the best thing for your waistline.  "Healthy living" came up in our conversations quite a bit - I wonder why?

Our last night spot in the city was the Market Pavilion Rooftop Bar.  The view was amazing and the atmosphere was fun, but relaxing.  A mojito was $16 however.


I regret we didn't have more time and enough sleep because there was so much more to see and do.  I loved the time spent with my girls, but I can honestly say that I would've loved to have had our husbands there too.  The next trip to Charleston will have to be a couples trip - who wants to volunteer to babysit?

1 comment:

Score said...

Hate I missed it but glad y'all had fun.