Thursday, January 6, 2011

Favorite Reads

Reading time is a critical part of Evan's bedtime routine - and by critical I mean he won't go to bed without a story.  On vacation this summer I think we read a brochure from a hotel we were so desperate for reading material.

His love for books has grown as he as grown older and he becomes more immersed in the story each time its read - which brings me to the reason for writing this post.  Evan easily has over a hundred different books in his room to choose from that vary greatly in subject matter - but for some reason, without fail, there are roughly five books that he demands to be read every night.  And many times one of the five will be demanded for several consecutive nights.  I am currently on the 10th consecutive night with Corduroy - and that's not even including nap time.  I wish I could tell Corduroy to get a new pair of overalls already.  Geez.

Evan's Current Top 5 Reading List
Corduroy by Don Freeman
Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
How Dinosaurs Say I Love You by Jane Yolen
Me Too by Mercer Mayer
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

As interests change I'm sure his demand in bedtime stories will too.  In the meantime, if anyone needs me to recite by memory the stories listed above you have my number.

2 comments:

jack said...

My niece Libby is the same way. She has a selected few books that have been read so many times she has them memorized. I was that way also. My favorite book of all time was a book about baseball called Rootie Kazootie. I still remember it well. I also have carried this habit into adulthood by watching the same movies over and over again.

Kylie said...

Amanda, Courdoroy was Noah's FAVORITE for a long time! Funny thing, Emme is starting to like it too. "Courdory" was one of Noah's first words! He said that before he would say Mommy! :)