Friday, June 11, 2010

Decision Made

Deciding on a baby name is far too complicated.  When I think I've come up with the perfect name, one that I think Robert will love, I find out that he knew a girl in high school by that same name and she was - how should I put it - easy.  Out the window it goes.  I come back with another name that has a really nice ring to it until I'm notified that Robert's ex-girlfriend named her daughter that too.  Again - gone.  Associations really take a toll on baby naming because unfortunately once you know someone who may not have made the greatest impression on you, well, that's the person you see when you say that particular name.

To avoid the difficulty and randomness of finding a name, we again decided to search our family trees and find the perfect one among the many branches.  We played around with a few different names - Hayden, Katherine, Ruth, Rhea - just to name a few, but we finally settled on one this morning.  In honor of Robert's great-great-great grandmother and my great aunt we are so excited to meet Mattie Jane.

When I put Evan to bed tonight I asked him if he wanted to say goodnight to the baby.  He stood up in his crib and leaned over and kissed my belly - and for the first time he said, "Nite Nite, Mattie."  My heart melted.

2 comments:

Score said...

My heart just melted too!

Kylie said...

I LoVe it !! How wonderful that it does double duty by honoring you greats!! Can't wait to meet you Mattie Jane!!