Friday, October 1, 2010

Progression

I'm not in labor yet.  Darnit.  But I have progressed some.  At today's 38 week check-up I learned that I am 2 cm dilated, but my cervix is still fairly thick.  I have definitely been having contractions - minor ones I'd say - so they may still be considered Braxton Hicks contractions which is nothing to get excited about.

My doctor suggests walking up stairs to jump start labor.  She also highly recommends having intercourse which always makes me laugh considering that's how I got myself in this mess in the first place.  But whatever works, right?  I figured these options were way better than drinking castor oil and taking a car ride down a bumpy road.

During last week's visit I was given the option to induce at 39 weeks if I had not gone into labor on my own at that point.  Up until today I had made the decision that I would indeed choose induction at 39 weeks.  But after thinking it through I've made the decision to just let nature take its course.  Robert and I don't plan to have any more children after this birth and I think I would really like the experience of natural labor.  I want to feel the excitement and exhilaration of knowing this is it!   I want to scramble around the house wondering if I have everything I need but at the same time not really caring.  I long for the pure chaos of it all.  Call me crazy - but that's the final decision.  Now if 40 weeks rolls around and there's still no baby then this whole reasoning may go right out the window - in fact, I know it will.  I'll be scheduling an induction pronto.

So, in the meantime you can find me scaling my stairs, drinking raspberry leaf tea, eating pineapple and meditating - all while making my husband a very happy man. :)  Yes, I know, too much information.

3 comments:

Kylie said...

Glad you changed your mind on that!

Score said...

I'll be thinking laborly thoughts for you! Glad there was some progress.

Sarah said...

Hahaha well 2 cm is something not as much as you might hope for considering its your 2nd and the due date is next week but if you start moving around in more ways than one MJ might get inspired! If that have to induce you maybe all they will have to do is break your water not give you pitocin.