Saturday, May 7, 2011

Blessing of the Inlet

Every year Belin Methodist hosts the Blessing of the Inlet, a charming festival where children, parents and members of the community gather to enjoy great shopping, food and fun.  As much as I would've loved to browse around in the arts and crafts tents, Evan was on a mission to hit up as many kid friendly activities as possible.  I was happy to oblige.

First up, the blue inflatable water slide.  The kids in Evan's class have been talking about this water slide all week.  The last thing Evan asked me before kissing him good night last night was, "Mama, will you go down the blue water slide with me?"  I kinda laughed and then Robert quickly blurted out, "Yeah, buddy.  Mama's gonna wear her bikini too."  I actually had to laugh again because I immediately pictured myself among a bunch of kids looking ridiculous in my bikini as I dove down the slide head first like a college frat boy.  The funniest part about it is that Evan would probably consider me his hero if I had really done that - now if I pulled that 10 years from now he might just divorce me.




Evan after all the hype Evan never actually went down the slide.  It was dominated by 8 year olds so I think he was a little intimidated.  Maybe next year.

We eventually moved on to golf where Evan proved to be quite the cheater.  After about three putts he decided he would just pick the ball up and put it in the hole.  And man, was he proud of himself.  We let it slide this time.




The Humane Society was a big hit as always.  Evan followed all the dogs around begging to pet them.  Meanwhile Mattie was watching and smiling at all the action.





And what's a festival with out face painting?  Unfortunately, the line for a super hero mask was too long so Evan opted for something simple - his name.  In blue and orange, of course.  Evan also painted me a beautiful flower pot for Mother's Day.  He even planted a flower in it.  I got a little teary eyed when he brought it over to me and in the sweetest voice ever said, "Happy Mother's Day, Mama.  This flower is for you."





Even dealing with the worst cold on record, I enjoyed our time immensely.  I currently have no voice and can barely hear any thing, but the day couldn't have been more perfect.  I love my sweet family.




No comments: