Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wall Flowers


I am not sending the message to MJ to be a wall flower - I'm simply digging the beauty these big blossoms add to the decor of her room.  I currently have these hanging over the crib.  They are safe and make a nice, bold statement on a rather drab colored wall.  And these only took me about 20 minutes to make.

My friend, Amanda, referred me to a blog called Made that I absolutely adore.  The author of this blog has several tutorials listed ranging from sewing projects to craft projects to demonstrating techniques.  I came across her tutorial for the wall flowers and immediately knew I wanted to incorporate them somewhere in MJ's nursery.  How I was going to do it was the question.

In the beginning I had planned to hang a pendant light over the crib in lieu of any artwork on the adjacent wall.  But somewhere along the line I decided to move the crib to the other side of the room which exposed even more wall behind the crib.  I felt that wall really needed something more - and here enters wall flower idea.  I also decided I wanted to frame the flowers rather than hanging them freely.  That's my need for structure coming out in me, I think.  I found a frame at Goodwill for $2 and painted it white.  After painting it I noticed a crack running along the top side - but honestly, it was that much more appealing to me.  The flowers are made using napkins.  You literally fan fold the napkins, scallop the edges and secure in the middle with a twist tie.  From there you simply separate and pull up on each layer of napkin forming petals all around.  They really are incredible for the little amount of time that goes into making them.

I will share a few other wall art ideas I put to use later.  I'm now working on the crib skirt which I'm really excited about.

3 comments:

Score said...

Maybe we should make some of those to hang on ribbons from the tree at my wedding or something?

Amanda said...

The only problem with that is that they are meant to lay flat. They don't blossom out in all directions. We can decorate tables with them - or hang them like garland on a wall??

Kylie said...

very nice... i see the colors compliment the material on the chair.. can't wait to see the final reveal.